I spent Christmas morning listening to the Stage Door Records CD debut release of Broadway actress and singer Pat Suzuki’s back catalogue of solo recordings.
Released this year across two albums, ‘The Complete Album Series’ (2 CD Set) and ‘Singles And Rarities 1958-1967’ is a treasure trove representing Pat Suzuki’s complete discography as a solo recording artist.
Click here to read a review of the CDs.
Pat Suzuki, best known for starring in the original Broadway production of ‘Flower Drum Song’ and originating the Rodgers & Hammerstein standard ‘I Enjoy Being A Girl’, enjoyed great success as a solo recording artist (receiving a Grammy nomination for Best Vocal Album in 1960), issuing four solo albums for RCA Records between 1958-1960. For the first time ever, all four of Pat Suzuki’s solo albums ‘The Many Sides Of Pat Suzuki’ (1958), ‘Miss Pony Tail’ (1958), ‘Broadway ’59’ (1959) and ‘Looking At You’ (1960) now make their debut on CD as the Deluxe 2CD set ‘Pat Suzuki – The Complete Album Series’.
The retrospective collection features 50 tracks including Suzuki’s haunting interpretation of ‘How High The Moon’ (later featured in the 1988 film ‘Biloxi Blues’) and her solo recording of ‘I Enjoy Being A Girl’ which became a Top 50 hit in the United Kingdom when issued as a single in April 1960.
The release of ‘The Complete Album Series’ is a joint collaboration between Pat Suzuki and Stage Door Records. Also available is the limited edition release ‘Singles And Rarities’ featuring all Suzuki’s non album singles and unreleased tracks recorded between 1958-1967. Click here to for more information and here to purchase the CDs.
Click below to learn more about Pat Suzuki. https://masterworksbroadway.com/artist/pat-suzuki/
THE MANY SIDES OF PAT SUZUKI (MONO)
1. From This Moment On (from ‘Out Of This World’) [LISTEN]
2. Fine And Dandy
3. A Sunday Kind Of Love
4. Something’s Gotta Give (from ‘Daddy Long Legs’)
6. Poor Butterfly
7. Just One Of Those Things (from ‘Jubilee’)
8. I Had The Craziest Dream
9. The Song From Moulin Rouge / Hi-Lili, Hi-Lo
10. Always True To You In My Fashion (from ‘Kiss Me Kate’)
11. Don’t Get Around Much Anymore
12. Lazy Afternoon (from ‘The Golden Apple’) [LISTEN]
PAT SUZUKI – MISS PONY TAIL (STEREO)
13. The Song Is You (from ‘Music In The Air’) [LISTEN]
14. Star Dust
15. Black Coffee [LISTEN]
16. Anything Goes (from ‘Anything Goes’)
17. I’ve Grown Accustomed To His Face (from ‘My Fair Lady’)
19. My Heart Belongs To Daddy (from ‘Leave It To Me!’)
20. As Time Goes By
21. How High The Moon [LISTEN]
22. The Lady Is A Tramp (from ‘Babes In Arms’) [LISTEN]
23. Be My Love
24. I’ll Never Smile Again
BROADWAY ’59 (STEREO)
1. I Enjoy Being A Girl (from ‘Flower Drum Song’) [LISTEN]
2. Love Look Away (from ‘Flower Drum Song’)
3. Sunday (from ‘Flower Drum Song’)
4. Two Faces In The Dark (from ‘Redhead’) [LISTEN]
5. Just for Once (from ‘Redhead’) [LISTEN]
6. Tonight (from ‘West Side Story’)
7. On The Street Where You Live (from ‘My Fair Lady’)
8. The Party’s Over (from ‘Bells Are Ringing’)
9. Just In Time (from ‘Bells Are Ringing’)
10. Not Like Me (from ‘First Impressions’) [LISTEN]
11. I Feel Sorry for the Boy (from ‘First Impressions’)
12. Till There Was You (from ‘The Music Man’)
LOOKING AT YOU (STEREO)
13. Looking At You
14. Small World (from ‘Gypsy’) [LISTEN]
15. Cheek To Cheek (from ‘Top Hat’)
16. He’s My Guy
17. My Funny Valentine (from ‘Babes In Arms’) [LISTEN]
18. You Better Go Now
19. You Brought A New Kind Of Love To Me
20. I See Your Face Before Me
21. I Didn’t Know About You
22. Easy Living
23. Don’t Look At Me That Way!
24. Let Me Love You
FLOWER DRUM SONG (ORIGINAL BROADWAY CAST ALBUM)
25. I Enjoy Being A Girl (from ‘Flower Drum Song’ – Bonus Track)
26. Grant Avenue (from ‘Flower Drum Song’ – Bonus Track)
Lia Chang is an actor, a multi-media content producer and co-founder of Bev’s Girl Films, making films that foster inclusion and diversity on both sides of the camera. Bev’s Girl Films’ debut short film, Hide and Seek was a top ten film in the Asian American Film Lab’s 2015 72 Hour Shootout Filmmaking Competition, and she received a Best Actress nomination. BGF collaborates with and produces multi-media content for artists, actors, designers, theatrical productions, composers, musicians and corporations. Lia is also an internationally published and exhibited photographer, a multi-platform journalist, and a publicist. Lia has appeared in the films Wolf, New Jack City, A Kiss Before Dying, King of New York, Big Trouble in Little China, The Last Dragon, Taxman and Hide and Seek. She is profiled in Jade Magazine and Playbill.com.
All text, graphics, articles & photographs: © 2000-2018 Lia Chang Multimedia. All rights reserved. All materials contained on this site are protected by United States copyright law and may not be reproduced, distributed, transmitted, displayed, published or broadcast without the prior written permission of Lia Chang. You may not alter or remove any trademark, copyright or other notice from copies of the content. For permission, please contact Lia at firstname.lastname@example.org